One of the easiest kinds of makeup to make at home is blush! When I was looking up ways for how to make blush naturally, I found a couple different options and one that I decided to test out was using beets.
So, today IвЂ™ll show you one of my creations вЂ“ a simple blush powder. I will tell you that this blush is light. I think of it more as a вЂњblushing luminizerвЂќ that gives you a lovely pink, coquettish flush вЂ“ perfect for an early spring picnic in a sundress and cardigan.
YouвЂ™ll enjoy using this blush! Especially during the summertime, I love the look of adding a pink highlight on my cheeks to give me more color.В I give you a few options for coloring ingredients below, but used this opportunity to bust out my dehydrator. So I dried beets and powdered them in a coffee grinder (doing the same with dried hibiscus flowers).
The only ingredient you need to make this blush is a beet! ThatвЂ™s it! You can simply make a beautiful blush by taking a fresh beet and turning it into a powdered blush.
It is super easy to make, looks great when applied, and is edible! You canвЂ™t get better than that!
How To Make Blush Using Fresh Beets
What YouвЂ™ll Need:
- 1 Beet
- A Mortar and Pestle
Instructions for Using Fresh Beets:
1. Take 1 or 2 beets, rinse and remove the outer skin.
2. Slice the beets in very thin slices.
3. Dehydrate the slices: use a dehydrator (if you have one) or place the beet slices spread out on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on the lowest setting, heat until the beets are dry (about 30 minutes). Keep checking on them every few minutes to see when theyвЂ™re ready.
4. Place the dried beet slices in a coffee grinder or use a mortar and pestle to grind and create a powder.
*Use a strainer or sifter to remove any larger pieces and create a fine powder.
5. Keep beet powder in a small container, apply with makeup brush or rub on skin with fingers.
To Get A Lighter Pink Shade
If youвЂ™d like to get a lighter pink shade (like pictured below), just add some kaolin clay or cornstarch to the beet powder and mix them with the mortar and pestle.
Benefits Of Beet Blush
I donвЂ™t like using commercial cosmetics because of the high amount of chemicals in them. My general rule to follow is that if I canвЂ™t eat it, I really donвЂ™t want to apply it to my skin. Not only does what we put on our skin get absorbed into our bodies, but these chemicals can be irritating and clog our pores!
So thatвЂ™s the best part about using a beet to make blush, itвЂ™s edible so you know itвЂ™s completely safe to apply to your skin.