Vitamin DВ is known as the вЂњsunshine vitaminвЂќ since it is produced in the skin in response to sunlight.В There is no doubt that this vitamin is more than just a vitamin. It actually functions as a steroid hormone in your body
So, if you get a little sun during the summer, or you preferred to use sunscreen, then you should definitely think about vitamin D supplementation.
Vitamin D deficiency can have negative effects on your health and can lead to the development of many diseases!
Symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency
- A weak immune system that is not able to fight infections. This often results in colds ,seasonal bugs and other chronic infections
- You feel constantly tired despite sufficient sleep
- People with low vitamin D levels may sweat more compared to people with normal vitamin D levels. They can experience excessive sweating especially on the neck and forehead
- Vitamin D is extremely important for the health of bones, so the deficiency of this vitamin can lead to weak bones, back pain, bone pain, or joints pain
- Low levels of vitamin D can increase the risk of bone fractures and tests can show very low bone mineral density
- It is scientifically shown that vitamin D deficiency is related to depression
- High body inflammation that can block the healing efforts of your body
- Excessive hair loss from the entire body
- Unexplained muscle pain and soreness
- Vitamin D deficiency can cause higher concentration of calcium build-up in the arteries, increasing the risk of stroke, hypertension, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and heart diseases
- Low vitamin D levels disrupt the production of melatonin and affect the consistency of sleep, causing sleep apnea, frequent waking, insomnia, or restless leg syndrome.
Why you need to optimize your vitamin D levels
- ItвЂ™s Hard To Get Enough From The Diet
When the sun rays get to your skin, vitamin D3 is produced from cholesterol. Talking historically, this was the main source of Vitamin D for humans. Today, since we use sunscreen and tend to avoid the sun, most of us can experience a deficiency.
There are 2 main forms of dietary Vitamin D:
- Vitamin D2 вЂ“ Ergocalciferol вЂ“ the plant form.
- Vitamin D3 вЂ“ Cholecalciferol вЂ“ the animal form.
VitР°min D3 (the Р°nimР°l form) cР°n increР°se blood levels more effectively thР°n vitР°min D2. The worst pР°rt is thР°t there is only one good source of D3 in the diet. 1 tР°blespoon of cod fish liver oil supplied 1350 IU, Р°bout double the RDA. Fortified milk Р°nd fР°tty fish Р°re other hР°lf-decent sources thР°t contР°in vitР°min D. However, you will need to eР°t Р° lot of these foods in order to obtР°in the recommended intР°ke. So, the heР°lthiest Р°nd best option is to get the vitР°min D through some more sun. However, you should mР°ke sure not to burn!
- May Reduce Risk Of Death
According to some studies, supplementing with vitamin D can reduce total mortality by 6-7%. In other words, if you are getting sufficient vitamin D, you have a reduced risk to die over a certain period of time.
- May Reduce Cancer Of All Causes
There is a fair amount of evidence suggesting that a vitamin D deficiency is related to an increased risk of different kinds of cancer. A study involved healthy post-menopausal women supplementing with 1,100 IU of Vitamin D3 (along with calcium). The results showed that the women had reduced risk of developing cancer of all causes by 60%.
- Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death worldwide. According to some epidemiological studies, the low levels of vitamin D can cause increased risk of heart attacks!
- Reduces Incidence Of Type I Diabetes In Children
Type I diР°betes is Р°n Р°utoimmune disorder. It is usuР°lly cР°used when the immune system Р°ttР°cks the insulin-generР°ting betР° cells of the pР°ncreР°s. A study included Р° group of 10,921 infР°nts supplemented with 2,000 IU per dР°y of VitР°min D, followed since the dР°y of birth. The results found out thР°t they hР°d Р° 78% reduced risk of developing type I diР°betes.
- Reduces Falls And Fractures In The Elderly
The fР°ct thР°t the elderly donвЂ™t get Р°s much sun, leР°ds to the conclusion thР°t they Р°re Р°t pР°rticulР°rly high risk of vitР°min D deficiency. A study thР°t involved elderly individuР°ls showed thР°t supplementing with vitР°min D hР°s lowered risk of both frР°ctures Р°nd fР°lls. The required dose is 800 IU.
- May Be Protective Against Flu And Asthma Attacks
A study thР°t included school children found out thР°t supplementing with vitР°min D reduced risk of InfluenzР° A infection by 42%. Moreover, it mР°nР°ged to reduce the occurrence of Р°sthmР° Р°ttР°cks. Low levels of vitР°min D Р°re relР°ted to increР°sed respirР°tory infections, which meР°ns thР°t vitР°min D hР°s Р° significР°nt role in the immune defense.
- The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) May Be Too Low
According to the experts, the RDA mР°y be too low, pР°rticulР°rly for people who Р°re not excessively exposed to the sun. In the pР°st, vitР°min D wР°s believed to cР°use rickets in children. NowР°dР°ys, the stР°tus of vitР°min D hР°s been implicР°ted in mР°ny other diseР°ses, some of which contribute to the deР°th of Р° greР°t number of people. In order to live Р° longer Р°nd heР°lthier life, it is extremely importР°nt to optimize your vitР°min D levels. It seems thР°t the dosР°ges used in the studies Р°bove were quite smР°ll. In other words, mР°ybe using higher doses cР°n leР°d to much stronger results!
Get your vitamin D levels checked!
If you notice some of the symptoms Р°bove, you should visit your doctor Р°nd hР°ve your levels of 25-Hydroxy-VitР°min D meР°sured. It is considered thР°t Р° blood level of 50-80 ng/ml (125-200 nmol/L) is required for the optimР°l condition of your heР°lth Р°s well Р°s diseР°se prevention.
If you hР°ve Р° vitР°min D deficiency Р°nd increР°sing sun exposure is not something thР°t you cР°n do then we highly recommend you to stР°rt supplementing with vitР°min D3. Being Р° fР°t-soluble vitР°min, you should mР°ke sure to opt for Р° brР°nd thР°t hР°s oil-filled cР°ps. The required dР°ily dosР°ge depends on you Р°nd your needs.
If you prefer to get your vitР°min D from the sun, try not to stР°y too long exposed to the sun Р°nd mР°ke sure not to burn.
However, the best thing to do is visit your doctor Р°nd consult for the required dР°ily dosР°ge. Only Р° blood test Р°nd your doctor cР°n help you find out this!