When you want to eat some healthy food and you don’t have a lot of time, here is a really fast meal recipe. In this recipe you can play around with whatever scraps and bits are in your fridge.
You don’t have zucchini at the moment? It’s not a problem. You can use eggplant or bell peppers instead. This recipe is flexible of your choice and you can use whatever you love or have on hand. The important things are adding the right amount of spices, cooking your veggies until they’re nice and tender, and getting the couscous to the ideal consistency.
- 1 tablespoon + 1½ teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup (100 g) diced mushrooms (your favorite variety)
- 1 cup (124 g) cubed zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¾ teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon coriander
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ to ½ cup (50 to 75 g) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (164 g) cooked or canned chickpeas
- ¾ cup (130 g) dried Israeli couscous
- 1 cup (250 ml) water or stock
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Handful of fresh greens
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Sliced avocado to taste (optional)
1. In a medium pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the onion is translucent.
2. Mix in the zucchini and garlic and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the zucchini shrinks down and has released some of its liquid. Add the spices and the remaining olive oil and mix.
3. Turn up the heat just a tad and add the cherry tomatoes and ½ teaspoon of salt. After the tomatoes begin to slightly blister, add the chickpeas, couscous, water, and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and stir.
4. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer lightly until almost all the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Add the nutritional yeast, greens, fresh basil, and mix everything together.
5. When the liquid has completely evaporated, your healthy meal is ready. You can top with slices of avocado or more greens, then plop yourself down to enjoy!