We all use oil in our cooking, and we use it pretty often. But, do you actually know the quality of your oil? Do you know its content? WhatвЂ™s it made of? In this article weвЂ™ll bring your focus closer to canola and soybean oil, and their detrimental effect on your health.
HereвЂ™s how canola oil is produced
Olive oil is made of olives, grape seed oil is made of grape seeds, peanut oil is of peanuts, and canola oil is made of rapeseed. вЂњRapesвЂќ or turnips belong to the Brassicaceae family, or the cruciferous vegetables. In the past, rapeseed oil was only used for industrial purposes. The FDA banned its use for human consumption in 1956, because it was toxic. In the 1970s, Canadian farmers cultivated a new variety with a low content of euric acid, and even changed its name. вЂњCanolaвЂќ stands for вЂњCanadian oil, low acid,вЂќ and it was supposed to convince consumers that itвЂ™s safe. вЂњCanolaвЂќ became a registered trade mark, and then it was abandoned, so вЂњcanolaвЂќ soon became the generic term for low-euric rapeseed oil.
Canola oil is a powerful insecticide, and itвЂ™s the main ingredient in вЂњorganicвЂќ pesticides.
Processing of canola
вЂњCanola represents the third most important crop in Canada after wheat and barley,вЂќ which is why manufacturers found the cheapest way to вЂњpump outвЂќ the oil.
- Soybean, rapeseed, cotton, and sunflower seeds are first gathered. These come from genetically engineered plants, which means they resist the tons of pesticide sprayed on them. Canola oil is the GMO version of rapeseed oil. Natural rapeseed oil is toxic, and companies made a less-toxic cheap version.
- Seed pulp and oil are passed through a hexane solvent bath and steamed to release more oil. Hexane is a product of crude petroleum oil, and itвЂ™s a mild anesthetic. Its inhalation causes mild euphoria, sleepiness, headaches and nausea. ItвЂ™s toxic to the environment.
- Phosphate is added to the seed/oil mixture, as it separates it in two.
- The crude oil is ready, and any leftovers are turned into animal feed, etc.
- The oil is passed through degumming, neutralization, and bleaching.
- Water is also added in the process.
Fatty acids, phospholipids, pigments, and waxes in the oil promote fat oxidation, and the final product has unattractive color and odor. Caustic soda or sodium carbonate is added to remove the impurities, and they settle to the bottom. Refined oils are bright, less viscous, and susceptible to oxidation.
Health consequences: Caustic soda is corrosive to your eyes and skin. It irritates throat and mouth, and causes nausea, stomach cramps and diarrhea.
This step removes the off-colored materials in the final product. The hot oil is bleached with activated carbon, activated clay and other bleaching agents to remove impurities, but itвЂ™s detrimental to your health.
Health consequences: Bleaching process destroys antioxidants in the oil.
ItвЂ™s the final procedure. Pressurized hot steam removes odors and tastes. Now the oil is вЂњrefined,вЂќ and ready for consumption. Light solution of citric acid is added, as it inactivates iron, copper or other metals in the final product.
Health consequences: Deodorization removes part of the omega-3 fatty acids, and turns them into trans fatty acids. These are bad for your health, as they increase cholesterol levels, cause heart disease, and increase the risk of stroke. Researchers have found that вЂ4.6% of all the fatty acids in canola are trans isomers.вЂ™ These are pretty similar to plastic or nylon, and itвЂ™s the very same plastic thatвЂ™s contained in your clothes. So, you eat the things you wear!
Health issues related to canola oil
Canola is terrible for your health, and it causes severe health problems. HereвЂ™re some of them:
- Increases bad cholesterol level
- Triggers heart disease and cancer
- Depletes vitamin E
- Increases the incidence of systemic lupus, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, pulmonary hypertension, neuropathy and other disorders
- Paralyzes skeletal muscles
- Causes spasms in the respiratory system
- Blocks enzymes
- Shuts down immunity
Avoid canola and other similarly processed oils, including safflower, corn, sunflower, and vegetable oils. These are GMO products with long shelf live, good look and taste. You donвЂ™t need GMOs in your kitchen.
Safe alternatives to canola oil
ItвЂ™s good for your heart, reduces bad cholesterol levels, lowers body lipids, and provides anti-inflammatory effect. ItвЂ™s tasty and healthy!
This is a nice way to use avocados. It has high smoking point, and it doesnвЂ™t burn when heated.
ItвЂ™s delicious in salads. This natural oil is tasty, healthy, and a safe alternative to manufactured vegetable oils. Buy high-quality olive oil, and make sure you donвЂ™t buy the fake product.
Canola and soybean oil affect health, and you donвЂ™t want to eat plastic, right? Put for natural alternatives, and we suggest that you try olive, avocado or coconut oil.