A lot of nutritionists approved the fact that the most important meal of the day is the breakfast because it provides the body with the energy needed throughout the day. At the same time, breakfast is of a great importance for people who are on a weight loss program since if they skip this meal, they will have unhealthy cravings for the rest of the day.
According to the latest findings published in Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism, oatmeal is the best breakfast option. The study involved 36 women and men separated into 3 groups, each of the group was given a limit in 350 calories intake. For breakfast, the 1st group had oatmeal, the 2nd group had cornflakes, and the 3rd group had only water.
Every group was asked to record their satiety levels after 3 hours. In order to keep track of their insulin levels and sugar in the blood, they were taken blood samples. All groups had the same meal for lunch. The group that had oats for breakfast consumed 31% less calories for lunch because they had the fewest cravings in the morning and in the afternoon. 3 hours after the breakfast, the cornflakes group was already hungry. The same applied to the group who drank water only.
Oatmeal, unlike cornflakes, stays longer in the stomach and promotes weight loss by cutting down on calorie intake by almost 50%. In addition, it provides the long-lasting effect.
Oats, including flakes and pulp, are healthy and super-tasty.
They can be easily combined with almost every meal in the form of stew, side dish, or salad. They can be used in desserts, as well.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF OATS:
- You feel satiety for a long period of time
- The fiber content in oats reduce the food cravings
- At the same time, fiber content in oats improves digestion and contributes to losing weight
- Oats lower down the cholesterol levels
- Oatmeal reduces the risk of stroke and heart failure
- Oatmeal prevents cardiovascular disease
- Oatmeal keeps the blood vessels healthy
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Reduces the risk of cancer (breast, colon, prostate, and ovarian)