You can reduce the number of mosquitoes withВ a plastic bottle trap. You just need toВ prepare a liquid whichВ will last about two weeks. After this period, you can easily replace the liquid.В For better effectiveness, you canВ place several traps around your house.
Prepare the trap materials:
1. Gather your materials.В Below you can find the items which are neededВ to make a plastic bottle mosquito trap. These items are easy to be foundВ at your local grocery and hardware store.
- An empty, plastic 2 liter bottle
- A marker or pen
- A box cutter
- A tape measure
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 gram of yeast
- Measuring cup
- Tape (duct, scotch, or electrical are fine)
2. Make a mark halfway down the plastic bottle. About 4 inches (10 cm) from the lid of the 2 liter bottle (about half of the bottle). You can use a ruler or measuring tape to find where 4 inches down the bottle is.
- Extend the tape measure 4 inches.
- Hold the end of the tape up to the end of the bottleвЂ™s lid.
- Using your pen, make a mark where the tape measure ends; this is 4 inches.
3. Draw a circle around the bottle 4 inches from the lid.В CutВ the plastic bottle in half. The measurements here do not need to be exact, but drawing a marked guide line will be helpful. You canВ draw a circle with a pen, around 4 inches down from the lid of the bottle.
4. Cut the plastic bottle in half.В Cut carefully along your marked guide line until the bottle is in two sections. Keep both parts of the bottle; you’ll use them both to make the trap.
- Be careful of sharp plastic edges as you cut.
- The edges donвЂ™t have to be perfect, so donвЂ™t worry if youвЂ™re a bit off from the marked guide line.
5. Measure 1/4 cup of brown sugar.В Measure 1/4 cup of brown sugar. In the next step you will pour it into the bottle.
6.В Heat up 1-1 1/3 cup of hot water. You can heat up the water, until it begins to steam.
Assembling the Mosquito Trap
1. Pour the hot water into the lower half of the bottle.В Slowly pour the water in the lower half and be careful not to burn you, since it is hot.
2. Pour the brown sugar into the lower half of the bottle.В Pour the brown sugar carefully into the lower half of the bottle.
3. Allow the mixture to cool. Set the bottle aside and wait untilВ the hot water cools. About twenty minutes isВ enough.
4. Add 1 gram of yeast to the plastic bottle. You donвЂ™t have to stir the mixture together. The yeast will consume the sugar and produce carbon dioxide, which attracts the mosquitoes.
5. Hold the top half of the bottle upside down. The lid of the bottle will be facing downwards at this point. While you are holding the top half of the bottle upside down, grab the bottom half with your other hand.
6. Place the top half upside down inside the bottom part of the bottle.В Push the top inside gently until the cut edges align. Ensure the top of the bottle is above the water line.
- Adult mosquito should have enough room to fly in the bottle and down the lid.
- If there is not enough room for them to fly in the bottle, empty a bit of the solution out.
- Now, insects can fly into the trap and die from suffocation or starvation.
7. Secure the edges with tape. Use tape to keep the edges aligned. A few pieces of tape placed around the bottle will suffice to keep the edges in place.