To improve oral health it’s important to be careful what you eat, but you should also reduce your usage of commercial toothpastes and mouthwashes, and substitute them with natural recipes.
You may not know this, but the toothpaste and mouthwash sold at stores arenвЂ™t 100% good for your oral health. This is because they contain chemicals that can damage the protective enamel of your teeth.
What is remineralization?
To explain it better, we shouldВ cite the work of Weston A. Price, who traveled the world in the 1930s in search of primitive tribes whose teeth were free from decay and degenerative diseases. Not only did he discover them, he also uncovered certain linkages among the healthiest ones.
Fat-soluble vitamins were the answer. In each of the 14 cultures he studied, which were scattered around the world and had never met or heard of the others, he foundВ a similar diet: fish and shellfish, raw milk, and cheeses.
Dr. Price later found that these foods have a higherВ concentration of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E and especially vitamin K2. These are important to the storage of minerals in the teethВ (mineralization). Vitamin K2 plays the very important role of вЂњtelling the bodyвЂќ where to store thoseВ minerals (in the teeth and bones) and where not toВ (the arteries).
Why do modern dentists today think that remineralization isnвЂ™t possible? There are a lot of different opinions about this, which might be due to the influence of the toothpaste industry and the commercialization of oral care products.
In our society, fats are traditionally found in butter, sausage, bacon, fish and seafood, etc. So if you want to maintain a healthy weight, you have to eatВ healthy. And if you want to have strong teeth that are rich in minerals, reduce your use of commercial toothpastes and mouthwashes and choose natural or homemade recipes instead.
Recipe for homemade mouthwashВ that will remineralize, strengthen, and whiten teeth
Even if you are buying a natural mouthwash, checkВ the label, because itВ probably containsВ glycerin. Your goal is to make a smooth and homogenous liquid, but if you make it too strong it can actually hinder the remineralization process.
In fact, as Dr. Ramiel Nagel states in his book, it can take as little as 30 days toВ completely remove the toothвЂ™s natural enamel. Everything depends on your diet (and the type of fat you eat), stress levels, sleep, metabolism, and overall health. ItвЂ™s important to make changes to your diet and every day habits to slow the loss of tooth enamel.
Do you want to have strong teeth? Look to nature.В Did you know that animals fed a diet of raw meat have perfect teeth with no cavities? And when we feed our pets, whoВ are designed to eat like carnivores, with processed pet food, they can get cavities? The same applies to humans. We need our native diet. We are omnivores, so we need to consumeВ a variety of foods that are rich in nutrients from bothВ plants and animals.
Nature has given us the most effective homemade mouthwashВ to keep enamel in tact andВ impervious to decay. So itвЂ™s important to eat a diet thatвЂ™s rich in calcium, phosphorus, and soluble vitamins, and to avoid processed foods.
How to make a homemadeВ whiteningВ mouthwash
- 2 teaspoons powdered calcium carbonate.
- 1 teaspoon xylitol crystals.
- 10 drops concentrated liquid trace minerals.
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil.
- 5 drops of lemon essential oil.
- 2 cups filtered water (500 ml).
In a large bowl, mix the calcium crystals powder and xylitol. Add liquid minerals and essential oils. Add water and stir. PourВ the mixtureВ into a bottle or glass jar. Close the lid tightly and shake the ingredients together for about 30-60 seconds until the xylitol is dissolved. Shake well before each use. You can store it in the refrigerator up to two weeks.
Why chooseВ these ingredients?
- Powdered calcium carbonate: to remineralize teeth.
- Xylitol crystals: to protect the teeth and gums.
- Concentrated liquid minerals: to remineralize teeth.
- Peppermint essential oil: flavor and fresh breath.
- Lemon essential oil: for whiter, brighter teeth.
What to look for in a homemade mouthwash?
1. It must contain mint. Some people opt for other essential oils, such as eucalyptus and that may also be a good idea. Remember that fresh breath is very important.
2. There must be something sweet. ThatвЂ™s notВ to say it should be full of sugar(because that would causeВ more cavities), but enough to give itВ a pleasant taste.
3. Must remineralize. Saliva cleans our teeth and providesВ them with the minerals that are lost through food, drink, cigarettes, etc. SoВ a good mouthwash should provide minerals to help saliva do its job.
4. Must be whitening. You want to have a bright, white smile, but without using a chemical whitening treatment!
5. ItВ must protect against cavities. You also need toВ thoroughly clean out any food debris that become trapped in the molars and teeth.
6. It shouldВ be natural. This means that we have to make itВ at home. Use the recipe we describedВ aboveВ and enjoy better results than toothpastes and mouthwashes sold in stores.
How to whiten your teeth at home in just 3 minutes with household items
All you need is:
- baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)