Here Is How to Remove the Chlorine From Your Water and Why It Is Very Important

Water treatment facilities always add a little chlorine to the water supply to ensure that dangerous microbes don’t grow and get us all sick, but in the last few decades this practice has been slightly modified.


It’s now longer enough to leave your tap water out for day to let the chlorine evaporate, because water is being treated with chloramine, which takes so long to evaporate that other methods of removal or neutralization are needed.

When chlorine is used as a water treatment, it combines with organic matter in the water to form byproduct compounds called Trihalomethanes (THMs). These compounds are toxic when consumed, inhaled, or applied to the skin. Research conducted on the health effects of chlorinated drinking water has demonstrated a variety of toxicity issues. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has concluded that there is evidence to support a potential association between long term exposure to high levels of THMs and bladder cancer as well as suggestions of an association with colon and rectal cancers. In addition, the Environmental Research Foundation cites several studies linking moderate to heavy consumption of chlorinated tap water by pregnant women with higher miscarriage and birth defect rates. Water disinfection is extremely important to rid of the bacteria and viruses in the water but there are other disinfection methods that do not produce these toxic byproducts.

The water we drink should not contain more than 4 mg. of chlorine in 1 liter of water, but, unfortunately, it goes over the limit more often than it is under the limit.

It is desirable to examine the water we drink, and you can easily do that with a Tester (test strip) which tests water’s quality and quantity of chlorine.

How to remove the chlorine?

The simplest way is to put at least a few drops of lemon juice every time you drink water in the cup, because vitamin “C” purifies water.

Quite simply, the water can be purified with tablets of vitamin “C”. Usually the advised ratio is 1 mg. of vitamin for 1 liter of water, but you can add more, it depends of the amount of chlorine in the water.

The water can be cleansed also with water filters which are mounted on the faucets. Also, the chlorine can be removed if you leave a water container open, so the chlorine is transformed into a gaseous state and evaporates. However, to evaporate completely it takes about 2 – 3 days.

The chlorine can be removed with boiling the water. You should boil the water for 15 minutes.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *