People throw away banana peels after eating a banana, because they don’t know how much a banana’s nutrients are found in the peel!
Banana peel contains as much as half of a banana’s nutrients. According to some folks, banana peels can help you in weight loss process.
Medium-sized banana contains:
- 12% of your daily fiber, which helps with digestion and may help lower your risk of diabetes
- 17% of your vitamin C, which is important for your immune system
- 20% of your vitamin B-6, which aids the body’s ability to convert food into energy
- 12% of your potassium, which helps in development of cells, tissues, and organs throughout the body
- 8% of your magnesium, which is important for the body’s energy productions and regulating glucose and blood pressure levels
Eating the peel of flesh fruit gives you even more of these nutrients. They contain higher concentration of phytonutrients, which tend to make them taste bitter.
Folks give us some delicious ways to eat them.
- You can cut both ends of the peel and throw it into your smoothie. Add whatever other ingredients you like.
- You can boil your peel and make banana tea!
- You use banana peel for curry instead of potatoes.
Our suggestions are:
- Wash bananas before eating, because the pesticides are mostly absorbed in the peels.
- In order to limit your exposure to pesticides, you should use organic bananas.
- Try different recipes and be creative with experimenting.